Title : Unusual cause of complex enteroenteric fistulae in children: A warning letter to the parents number II
Background: Infants and young children explore objects by putting them in the mouth. Although most swallowed foreign bodies pass spontaneously via the gastrointestinal tract without causing harm, some of them are potentially dangerous and may be lethal.
Patients and methods: Five children have swallowed multiple high strength and powerful rare earth Neodymium Magnetic beads. Three cases were subjected to open and two for laparoscopic exploration (one of them converted to open).
Results: Multiple complicated enteroenteric ?stulae were noted in three cases and multiple perforation of small intestine in two cases. Resection anastomosis was done for one case and simple closure of small bowel perforations for other four cases. Post operative course was uneventful for all patients and discharged in a good general condition.
Conclusion: General practitioners should be aware of the danger and complications of Neodymium Magnetic beads ingestion by children. Early endoscopic removal is recommended if the patient presents immediately after ingestion. Parents awareness through media is required to abandon magnetic beads in houses and where children can ingest those dangerous beads.